Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Uplifting Clarence Smith!


Clarence Smith - I'll Just Keep On Trying



I will refer you today to my June 2006 post about Clarence Smith and his 1973 Gospel Truth LP Whatever Happened To Love for details about this fine album and Stax's gospel output on the label. Recently I gave the LP a spin and I realized that I had overlooked this number. "I'll Just Keep On Trying" is by no means flashy; it's just a very uplifting, soulful tune. It's clear from listening to the whole album that Smith's vocals are not the most dynamic, but there's a sincerity in his singing that really makes the songs work, and this tune is evidence of that effect. There's also a nice groove on this one, and the background singers do a great job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just came into your blog as I was about to close shop.

Seems interesting. Plan on comin' through real soon for a thorough
look.

SoulFunkLifestyles Universally Converging !!!